Yellowfin Tuna Fishing in Panama
Yellowfin Tuna can be found just 20 miles off the coast of Panama, with one of the more prominent fishing locations being Hannibal Bank. Although mainly found in deep offshore waters, Tuna may approach shore when suitable conditions exist. Tuna often travel in schools with similarly sized companions. They are often associated with various species of dolphins or porpoises. Yellowfin prey includes other fish, pelagic crustaceans, and squid. Like all tunas, their body shape is particularly adapted for speed, enabling them to pursue and capture fast-moving baitfish such as flying fish, sardines, and mackerel. Today, fishing for Yellowfin Tuna in Panama is one of the ultimate activities pursued by sport fishermen from all over the world. Thousands of anglers fish for Tuna along the coast of Panama.
Should you care to take a few species back to the lodge for dinner let your deck mate know. We also provide a deep freezer and vacuum pack should you wish to take fish back home. Just let us know when you arrive.
Learn more about Panama’s best fishing months and the conservation, preservation of our natural resources.
Yellowfin Tuna Information
Scientific name: Thunnus Albacares
- The Yellowfin is a species of tuna found in pelagic waters of tropical and subtropical oceans worldwide.
- The Yellowfin is among the larger tuna species, reaching weights over 180 kg (400 lb), but is significantly smaller than the Atlantic and Pacific bluefin tunas, which can reach over 450 kg (990 lb), and slightly smaller than the bigeye tuna and the southern bluefin tuna.
- The second dorsal fin and the anal fin, as well as the finlets between those fins and the tail, are bright yellow, giving this fish its common name.
- The second dorsal and anal fins can be very long in mature specimens, reaching almost as far back as the tail and giving the appearance of sickles or scimitars.
- The main body is a very dark metallic blue, changing to silver on the belly, which has about 20 vertical lines.
Have Questions? Contact Us
Don't waste any time, the calendar is booking up quickly! Don't miss your chance to take amazing fishing photos with your catch here at Come Fish Panama!