Scientific name: Nematistius pectoralis
- The Roosterfish is a game fish found in the warmer waters of the East Pacific from Baja California to Peru. It is the only species in the genus Nematistius and the family Nematistiidae. It is distinguished by its "rooster comb", seven very long spines of the dorsal fin.
- The Roosterfish has an unusual arrangement of its ears: the swim bladder penetrates the brain through the large foramina and makes contact with the inner ear. It uses its swim bladder to amplify sounds.
- Roosterfish can reach over 1.6 m (5 ft 3 in) in length and over 50 kg (110 lb) in weight.
- The weight of the average fish hooked is about 20 lb (9.1 kg). The fish is popular as a game fish, but it is not considered a good eating fish.
- Catch, photo and release is provided with this species here at Come Fish Panama. The Rooster is one of the top 5 game fish anglers from all over the world come to check off their bucket list.
Have Questions? Contact Us
Don't waste any time, the calendar is booking up quickly! Don't miss your chance to take amazing fishing photos with Come fish Panama
[contact-form-7 id="6778" title="Contact - Photos - Jacks - Roosterfish"]